Choose to dream …
London is living a relatively sheltered suburban life. Her world changes when she dreams of a troubled young man, living a life contrasting her own. Her recurring dreams make her question both her reality and sanity.
Despite their differences in this implausible form of communication, she forms a strong bond with this boy, prompting her to make a conscious decision.
She will follow her heart no matter what the cost.
“I go to a world that is nowhere near as interesting as the one you are a part of. I go to everyone’s reality, where people don’t know me. I go to a place that has become almost intolerable if it weren’t for the hope that when I close my eyes, I may see you again.
I wake up”~ London
YOUNG ADULT. MAGIC REALISM.
Sneaking a Peek
I must be if I’m here. Feeling what I’m feeling.
This is not some rabbit hole I’ve fallen in. There are no talking animals, psychedelic colors that flavor the environment in acid-trip rainbows, or fuzzy blue caterpillars. Instead, I feel the damp chill of my clothes, tension in the air, and fear that is real.
I shiver, though I can’t be sure if it’s just because I’m cold. My shirt clings intermediately to the back of my neck. Every inhale causes it to rub against me like a handful of tiny needles slowly ripping through my skin, seemingly sharp and unrelenting. I press the bottom of my palms to my eyes, pushing out errant tears. The pressure reminds me that there are other things happening. There are other things that hurt. The purpling bruises on my side. The raw scratches on my arm. The sores on my feet thrusting against my shoes. They all meld together in a slur of fresh, throbbing ache.
The smell of stale air and wet tile saturates the air and invades every breath. It is a unique combination of suffocating hopelessness that makes the tight enclosure even smaller. Hollow sounds echo unnaturally within the empty room. It makes the steady drips of water louder. My heart is crashing in waves, so loud in my ears that it blocks out the water. It’s an overload. I can’t stop crying. I can’t stop feeling.
My senses tell me this is happening … here and now.
Somewhere in the other real world … somewhere far from here, where things make sense … I must be unresponsive to everything. There is too much going on inside of me to have anything left.
Here, the high windows reveal little. There are no shadows or movement. The stillness watches me while I wait. I’m waiting because he told me to. He’s the reason I’m pulled to this place. Alone in this prison of choice.
I flinch at the rhythmic pops and snaps in the distance.
Was that … Gunfire?
It’s begun. The next few minutes will determine his fate … and by extension, my own. Do we even stand a chance? Did we ever?
I can’t just stay in this huddled position while our future is being decided. I need to do something. I need to see. It’s not what he wants but It’s not going to matter anyway if we’re both killed.
What happens then?
The uncertainty that has been holding me in place is what drives me to motion. I extend a shaky hand forward into the dim light. Trying to find a semblance of courage, I will the rest of me to follow.
It is a step closer to him. Am I also a step closer to the end?
A door bursts open. I am no longer alone.
What happens next?
Order your very own copy and find out …
Ask your local library or book store to order you a copy.
But, wait. There’s more.
Behind the scenes blog …
- Kindle 06.01.2021TODAY ONLY!
- 365One year ago today, we scheduled Reverie for release. Technically, Reverie didn’t see the public until July but our official publication date was listed as June 1st, 2020. I finished the first draft of Reverie in 2009. My soon-to-be-although-I-didn’t-know-it-at-the-time husband casually mentioned that it would make for a good short story. It ended up being a novel. I wrote for him. I wrote for the fun of it. It was not meant for much more. Friends wanted to read it. Friends liked it. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if you have a good enough story or if you just haveContinue reading “365”
- 02.14.2021Hearts colliedlike exploding starsFriendship burnsbut in its wakepassion is sparkedThe journeybecomes our historyforever entangled with you. ~ zee
- Reverie Cocoa BombsWhile prepping for the A GIFT OF REVERIE: Virtual Author Visit with the Grayslake Area Public Library, I received a Reverie inspired Hot Cocoa Bomb by the talented L. Tiernan. And a snow day is the PERFECT day to enjoy it … Register for the A GIFT OF REVERIE: Virtual Author Visit and get a chance to win a Reverie inspired treat of your own …
- Limited Edition REVERIE GIFT SETThis is Reverie’s first Winter so we’re going to make it a special one! Offering limited edition Gift Sets for sale this holiday. They are exclusive to This Old Book, downtown Grayslake IL and online HERE. This Reverie inspired necklace will remind you that love has the power to transcend the obstacles that it has made in way of itself. It’s a wonderful present to give to that reader of romance person in your life … or one to keep for yourself!