Choose to dream …
London is living a relatively sheltered suburban life. Her world changes when she dreams of a troubled young man, living a life contrasting her own. Her recurring dreams make her question both her reality and sanity.
Despite their differences in this implausible form of communication, she forms a strong bond with this boy, prompting her to make a conscious decision.
She will follow her heart no matter what the cost.
“I go to a world that is nowhere near as interesting as the one you are a part of. I go to everyone’s reality, where people don’t know me. I go to a place that has become almost intolerable if it weren’t for the hope that when I close my eyes, I may see you again.
I wake up”~ London
YOUNG ADULT. MAGIC REALISM.
Sneaking a Peek
I must be if I’m here. Feeling what I’m feeling.
This is not some rabbit hole I’ve fallen in. There are no talking animals, psychedelic colors that flavor the environment in acid-trip rainbows, or fuzzy blue caterpillars. Instead, I feel the damp chill of my clothes, tension in the air, and fear that is real.
I shiver, though I can’t be sure if it’s just because I’m cold. My shirt clings intermediately to the back of my neck. Every inhale causes it to rub against me like a handful of tiny needles slowly ripping through my skin, seemingly sharp and unrelenting. I press the bottom of my palms to my eyes, pushing out errant tears. The pressure reminds me that there are other things happening. There are other things that hurt. The purpling bruises on my side. The raw scratches on my arm. The sores on my feet thrusting against my shoes. They all meld together in a slur of fresh, throbbing ache.
The smell of stale air and wet tile saturates the air and invades every breath. It is a unique combination of suffocating hopelessness that makes the tight enclosure even smaller. Hollow sounds echo unnaturally within the empty room. It makes the steady drips of water louder. My heart is crashing in waves, so loud in my ears that it blocks out the water. It’s an overload. I can’t stop crying. I can’t stop feeling.
My senses tell me this is happening … here and now.
Somewhere in the other real world … somewhere far from here, where things make sense … I must be unresponsive to everything. There is too much going on inside of me to have anything left.
Here, the high windows reveal little. There are no shadows or movement. The stillness watches me while I wait. I’m waiting because he told me to. He’s the reason I’m pulled to this place. Alone in this prison of choice.
I flinch at the rhythmic pops and snaps in the distance.
Was that … Gunfire?
It’s begun. The next few minutes will determine his fate … and by extension, my own. Do we even stand a chance? Did we ever?
I can’t just stay in this huddled position while our future is being decided. I need to do something. I need to see. It’s not what he wants but It’s not going to matter anyway if we’re both killed.
What happens then?
The uncertainty that has been holding me in place is what drives me to motion. I extend a shaky hand forward into the dim light. Trying to find a semblance of courage, I will the rest of me to follow.
It is a step closer to him. Am I also a step closer to the end?
A door bursts open. I am no longer alone.
What happens next?
Order your very own copy and find out …
This Old Book: 138 Center St. Grayslake IL 60030
Wednesday, August 12
3pm to 6pm
Ask your local library or book store to order you a copy.
But, wait. There’s more.
Behind the scenes blog …
- FeedbackReviews are trickling in on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It thrills me to know that London has made friends with this world as well. Hope to see you at our OFFICIAL BOOK LAUNCH at This Old Book in downtown Grayslake, IL on August 12th. If you can’t make it, Reverie is available on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com #BehindTheScenes #FeedBack #BookReview #WoolGatherers ~ Zee
- #50On August 2, 2020, Reverie ranked #50 on an Amazon’s Best Seller List! Dare we dream for more?#BucketList #BestSeller #Reverie #BehindTheScenes ~ Zee
- We’re Official!Reverie is teaming up with THIS OLD BOOK in downtown Grayslake for our official launch! We shall conform with social distancing and safety precautions for this outdoor event. There will be treats, fun items, and even a raffle! Reverie will be launched at an EXCLUSIVE PRICE. So if you haven’t gotten your copy yet, make sure you don’t miss this opportunity. Come by and share the excitement! ~ Zee #BookLaunch #ItsOfficial
- Indie Authors UNITE!Lafiro A Gomez III of Imagination Factory Creations recently interviewed me as part of his Indie 2 Indie program. Check out my very first Author Interview! His book, Parachute Island is available here. Hang tight for Reverie’s official book launch date. Announcements to follow soon! ~ Zee
- #WoolGatherersLove receiving pictures from our excited readers of all ages! Pre-orders should be completely delivered nationwide by next week. Thank you to all our patient Wool Gatherers overseas, who have to hold on just a little bit longer. This means that though you may have missed out on the swag, Reverie will be available to the public very soon. You’ll be able to get your copy through here, have your local bookstore order it for you, Amazon, or even your local library. So many options! Let the Dreaming begin! #BehindTheScenes #Reverie #WoolGatherersUnite #WoolGathering #WorthTheWait ~ Zee